Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Leaving Guatemala



The plan Thursday was to leave at 8:00 a.m. and head to the airport in Guatemala City for my afternoon flight home.  I was up early so I could say goodbye to all the kiddos before they left for school.  It is never easy to leave.  
Hugged the kids, one by one, before they went to school.  Told them how much I loved them and that I would see them next year.  Even got a photo with Eliceo which is very hard to come by!

Felis and Claire were driving me to the airport for they had errands to run in Guate City.   We didn't get far, a "manifestation" (strike) had caused a major traffic jam.
Claire asked a policeman if another route was open and he said yes so we turned around and headed that direction.  We were soon to find out that the three roads that led to the City were all closed due to the strike. So plan B started with breakfast in Panajachal. Yummy, yummy, banana pancakes and much laughter among us gals.  Then back to the Home, spent an hour on the phone with United Airlines and was finally able to get exact flight on friday, with no fee incurred!
Then off to love on the babies and small kiddos not in school.  Even got to feed the new babies, Marie de Angela and Flori de Maria.


                             Just a few more adorable photos of them before I had to leave again.

Macardeo greeted me almost every day by running to me with open arms.  He even did his wide open arms when he was in the high chair fixing to eat.  Adore this little "miracle baby" that I got to love on while I was there.


The older kids were surprised to see me still there when they got in from school.  Warmed my heart that they all wanted me to stay another month!!  Seriously crossed my mind actually!  Treasured the extra time with the kids and mama's.


 
Felis and Claire felt it best to go into Guatemala City late afternoon if the roads cleared so we could avoid same problem friday should the Teachers decide to strike again.  Sometimes they do strike for days and block the only roads that go into the city for media coverage and President's attention. The strikes were being held by public school teachers who were asking for more money, new desks for the kids, and school lunches for the kids.  I was actually glad to hear that is what the strike was about and didn't at all mind it causing a flight delay.  We headed to Guate late afternoon and stayed at the Barcelo.  It is a  hotel close to the airport so I would be able to catch my flight regardless if roads closed outside the city on friday.
I wish I could tell you how much fun I had with Felis and Claire.  It would be impossible to share a story and have it be as funny to you as it was to us, so I will spare you.  The thing is, we laughed so hard we had tears many, many times throughout the day.  It was just one thing after another.  I will share just this one thing - Felis had ordered Sushi for dinner - and asked for chopsticks (in Spanish)  This is what they brought her:
I can not tell you how hard we laughed......  What a blessing to have the extra time to just share and enjoy our friendship.  I love them and all they do for all the kids at Eagle's Nest.
 This new little boy, about 40 days old, was brought to the Home a few days ago.  His name is Adam Dorian.  Please prayerfully consider supporting this awesome ministry who cares for so many.

I miss everyone at EN and will continue to blog and share photos from my experience.  What a blessing to be able to serve there and thankful for all the support, prayers, and encouragement to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment