Saturday, January 10, 2015

Grublets

Greetings from Eagle's Nest. Went to Chela today, little over an hour away, to run errands and take friend out for birthday lunch. Fun day, lots of laughing! Favorite part of day was stopping by with bags of groceries for the "grublets". Grublets is an endearing term that Larry and Claire, the couple that started Eagle's Nest, gave them probably close to 20 years ago now. (I have written about them in past blogs) It is a family that lives in poverty on the outskirts of Chela that I was lucky enough to meet four years ago when I started serving here for longer than a week. It has become one of the highlights of my time here every year. The mama and two young kids were gone when we stopped by today, but the two middle age boys and oldest girl were at home. The next to oldest daughter has gotten married this past year and now lives at the coast. They boys said it was a long way to go but they had gotten to visit her. Felis asked the boys if they went to school and thankfully they do. She asked if they could use some school supplies and of course they can. It is our intent to go back in a couple of weeks and take that along with clothes and more food. They live next door to a tire shop and the owner of the shop lets them live on the land in return for gaurding his land. The do not have running water or electricity and are always very dirty. When we drove up and they realized it was us they saw us they just ran out with smiles and open arms. Sometimes it is hard to see someone that dirty and want to hug them, but I could hardly wait to put my arms around them. The older boy was trying to ask us about someone and I said Claire's name and a huge smile came on his face and he said yes, yes! Felis told them she was her daughter and that she would be in Guatemala soon and hopefully will be able to go see them. They are always so appreciative when we take food and/or clothes by and they always say God Bless You. Many thoughts go through my mind after seeing them. How blessed I am is an understatement. "Blessed' doesn't even get close to describing what I have had in my life compared to what they live in day in day out. Yes I know poverty is in the U.S., but for most of us it has to be found by driving Out of our neighborhoods and looking for it and how often do we/I do that. It is hard to look for it from the comfort of our homes and busyness of our lives. It is easy to forget about it when you don't have to see or face it. As I have said before, you don't have to look for it here. I pray that not only I, but many of you, drive Out of our neighborhoods and look for it; and for our hearts and lives to be changed because of it. It is a gift, priviledge, honor, duty, command, and desire - to know, love, and serve those that I can. Thank you for keeping up with my journey here. .."Whatever you did for one of the leaset of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" Matthew 25:40 (Please go to my facebook page to see photos of visit with the Grublets today. A picture is truly worth a thousand words)

No comments:

Post a Comment