Thursday, January 16, 2014

Busy day

                    The team that is here has done so much in a short amount of time.

 The men have torn out and replaced kitchens in the rooms teams stay in.  They have tiled tops of dressers and repaired closets in rooms.  The ladies and I have painted the older boys rooms and varnished  the dressers for their rooms.  (It allows them to have three drawers to put all their clothes and personal belongings in).  I am excited to be able to get them new curtains and bedspreads while I am here also.

It was fun helping Felis with photos of the kids today for their monthly reports. A couple here with the team are professional photographers and they took some too.  Can't wait to see them.  Lizzy's personality has blossomed since last year - she is just a cutie pie - and calls me Mama Denise.  Melts my heart.
          The kids have been helping move wheelbarrows of rock that weren't
          used for the concrete pour on monday.
                                        Pablo ready for another load of rocks.
                                 Jenny was very happy helping haul rocks!  

Felis and I were able to get the "virtual" bookshelves finished.  They are for the buy a book campaign to raise funds for the kids in the Home going to school.  When you purchase, a for $25.00 your name is put on the "virtual" book.



I try to help with Manna feeding program monday through friday so I can love and hug on those kids.  Some of them I know for they have been coming a few years.  Others are new so trying to get them to let me touch them.  The Guatemala custom in not hugging like we do in the states, it is touching someone lightly on the upper part of the arm.  So the young kids, some very small, are frightened when you try and love on them.
One of the advantages of staying here longer than a week is you can get to know them a bit better.
One of the new families here was very shy with me the first week but this week I have been greeted with running, open arm hugs from the middle aged child.  Her name is Anna Patricia, the older girl is Sophia ( or something close - can't get it exactly) and don't have the little girls name yet.  She won't get real close to me and her sister had to coax her to take photo.  Hopefully that will change.  They walk up for the feeding program and the oldest takes care of them as a mom would.  I assume they have a mom and dad at home.

I wrote this Wednesday night but the winds got so high, I think they were 50mph, that we lost internet.
Wasn't sure we would have it this a.m.  Thick coat of dust on everything in room now.  I have been here through high winds before but this may of been the worst.  Always seems to be at nighttime.

Thanks for your prayers and support.





No comments:

Post a Comment