Friday, January 3, 2014

Getting Settled

Spent this morning getting unpacked and settled in.  Went to the little village of Solola so I could get money exchanged and go to the Market for some food items.  When I neared the bank I thought I heard someone
calling my name.  I kept looking around because couldn't imagine they really meant me.  I finally spotted Jose Pablo sitting outside the bank with Churro, the Patlan's dog.  (Jose Pablo was a baby when I first came
to EN).


  He and a few of the other boys had walked to town with Anna, one of the mama's.  I asked Anna if it was okay if we walked down to the little ice cream shop since they don't get to do that very often. She said they could so off we went.  They were very well behaved and took turns ordering in the small ice cream shop.


I got back to the Home in time to see the kids from the Manna Feeding program.  It is a program based out of Dallas, Manna Worldwide, that sets up feeding distribution centers all over the world.  A company out of New Jersey pays the $700. a month to feed 56 children 5 days a week.  The children coming to the feeding program don't come with parents, but with siblings or friends.  Some are very young.  Although I recognized a lot of the faces, I couldn't recall all the names.  I was able to get hugs and smiles from those kiddos that have seen me here over the past years.  No photos today but will get plenty while I am here.  

Some of the kids had asked about doing "exerciso" on the "concha" (basketball court).  So funny, I get them doing all sorts of different things on the cement court.  Usually have 12-15 at a time of all ages so can be very entertaining.  The past couple times I have been here I tried to help when the kids had outdoor play time.  I gave up on soccer last year although I am certain they will talk me into trying again this year so they can laugh at me.  

School will be starting soon so next week I will be helping paint, clean, and prepare the rooms for classes.
It is my goal to help wherever it is needed and to love and play with the kids while I am here.

So great to be back,

Denise




No comments:

Post a Comment