Saturday, February 4, 2012

Church in Xela

Seems I can't get caught up on blog!  Days are full with one thing or another.  I had some back issues this week so didn't get as much done as I had hoped.
Just turned on the t.v. to watch news and stumbled upon the last five minutes of the Super Bowl - in spanish.  Hadn't paid alot of attention - had planned on watching it tomorrow night.  Glad I didn't watch the whole thing tonight for I just goggled and confirmed it is indeed Sunday night.  Oops, must be re-run of last years.

Back to Xela - which is short for Quetzaltenango.   After coffee at the Pastor's home we walked a few more blocks downhill, then up a trail, to the entrance of property.   
We continued up a path to the another entrance
Which led us to this small church room.

               With an alter (table with white tablecloth) and beautiful flowers.

The ladies came dressed in traditional clothing and entered the Church and  knelt before the alter to say a prayer before taking a seat.  It truly took my breath away.
As the chruch filled the pastor brought in cinder blocks and piece of wood to add seating.  'The Church is not the building, it is the people.'  These dear sweet people didn't care where they met or what they sat on and I was very proud to be able to sit in that "Church" with them.
The Pastor's son took a liking to me when we stopped at his home for coffee.  He and I moved to the bench to free up more wall seating.   He ended up sitting on  my lap the entire service. 

Pastor Lynn, from Cowboy Country Church in Oklahoma, started the service with some music.  Then Pastor Larry, Pastor Jaimie, and Pastor Lynn all shared powerful messages.  Larry translated for us English speaking attendees.
 Juan Carlos, a brick layer from the village,  told Pastor Jaimie that he couldn't live like he was living any longer and he wanted to make a change.


  Larry called him to the front after the service and his wife joined him.  His sweet girls came and joined them as Larry prayed and he accepted the Lord.  He has been battling alcohol and we are all praying for him as he lives out this commitment.  Hard to put in words how touching the entire church service was. 
These are Juan Carlos's four daughters and his wife is in the back, on the left.
Yes, I did sneak back in afterwards to leave a  bit of money with Norma.  I have been hesitant to share all the times I have been able to do this while serving here.  But feel the need to now.   Not to brag, but to share how grateful I continue to be for the financial support I received for this trip.   

God Bless you for your support. 

Luke 12:48
When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required


Candy after church


No comments:

Post a Comment