Sunday, February 5, 2012

Juan Carlos and Maria

Eagle's Nest welcomed two kids into the Home today.  Juan Carlos, 12, and his sister Maria, 8 were removed from their home by the Governement.  A lawyer brought them to the home early afternoon. 
Felis got a call earlier today and was told the children would arrive on Monday.  I had gone to the market and was not aware so when I walked
in shortly after they arrived it took me a minute to figure out what was going on.  Felis, Pedro, Amy and Todd where talking with the kids.  I saw Juan Carlos first and it just took a minute for it to register.  I immediately went over to him and introduced myself and gave him a hug.  I then went to find Maria and she was with some of the other girls near her age.  Felis and Pedro went to the basement and gathered up a couple of sets of clothes, shoes, and a jacket for them both so they could get cleaned up.  Clothes for older kids and especially jeans are always scarce and that was the case today when they were gathering items. 


While they were gathering clothes I noticed Juan Carlos sitting alone reading.  Maria was running around playing with some of the girls so I sat down and we read to each other.   He reads very well and seemed to really like it.  Felis brought some clothes to him and chatted with him a bit.  He is 12 years old and is very concerned about his mother.  He explained his father was off somewhere, I don't know if it is working or he is just gone.  But his mother won't let him come home at night unless he has made some money.  Doing what I don't know.  One of those situations that makes me very upset that I don't speak fluent Spanish!!  He was concerned about his mother and was of course emotional talking about her.  Felis later told me she was probably in jail.  Keep in mind children here start working at very young ages.
And from what I have observed if a child is removed from a Home by the government the situation at home must be pretty bad. 


So, he got a shower, found some pants and shoes that fit.  Maria was very happy about her new shoes.  Maria has siezures and just recently got  medication for them.  She is crossed eyed and is a special needs.  She loves to swing and had a good time doing some exercises with the girls. 
She seems to be a very sweet child just like her brother.  He finally ran and played with the kids too.  So thankful.
They are the same ages as children in my life in Austin that are like family to me.  Once again I seem to be at a loss for words.  I am so grateful for Felis, Pedro, Todd, and Amy and all the kids here that will be able to love on them as they adjust in the days ahead.  I was able to check on them just a bit before bedtime, got hugs from them and a lot of the other kids.  Priceless.
Hugs to all you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment