Monday, January 30, 2012

BBQ and the Grublets

Who would of thought it, a BBQ place in Pana?  I had been hearing about the wonderful food since I arrived from Pedro.  A man from Florida runs Smokin' Joe's BBQ but only serve's on saturday's from noon till four.

Ribs, pork loin, bbq sandwhiches, tuna, and shark are featured items with sides of potatoe salad, green beans, coleslaw, and a special side last saturday
of mac and cheese! 



 I chose the potatoe salad, green beans, and mac and cheese (tasted just like my moms) to go along with my slab of ribs.  Really delicious! 

The group that has been here all week have been wonderful.  Paul and Barbara have been coming once or twice a year for 20 years!  Thank goodness Larry suggested I go on this overnight road trip with them.  He said I needed to experience it and I am so grateful I did!

On the hour half drive we saw many areas of the road that were being repaired due to the horrible mudslides back in October.  We passed this bus and Larry said he will be passing us in a minute.  (when we start going downhill) Indeed, it did pass us and then we saw it crashed into the side of the mountain on the downhill.  Going to fast downhill on a curve isn't uncommon around here.   Larry said he doubted many of  the local "chicken bus' drivers had any experience or training.  Reminded me that Pedro had said it was okay for me to take a bus up the hill from Pana to Solola, but to take a tuk tuk or taxi down the hill.  Note to self not to forget this!!

On the way we were to stop and see the Grublets. I had forgotten all about this until Larry pulled over on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere and said here we are!  This is where the Grublets live.


 Barbara and Claire discovered this family on a trip to Xela about five years ago.  They live next to a propane store I believe, on the other side of the cement wall and Claire said they are probably what we would call "squatters."
When we first pulled up I wasn't sure anyone was home but then one by one the children peaked out and saw Barbara, Paul, and Larry and recognized them and came running to greet them.

 

Barbara had a bag with a few clothes items, gloves, scarves, and hats, and some other items.  She had a frisbee that Larry showed the youngest boy how to use and they had great fun playing while Barbara passed out goodies.  I asked all their names and ages and am sorry to say I can't recall them. 

I was so grateful I could speak a small bit of spanish so I could communicate with them a bit.  Their parents had gone to the market so they were home alone which is normal for most families. 


The family consists of four girls and two boys ranging from 5 to 15 - guessing.  Of course I fell in love with them and asked Larry if I could stay and they could pick me up on the way back Sunday!  I was joking - sort of.
Hope to stop by next week on the way to Xela with Pedro and Felis next week as well.
(The oldest boy is playing Frisbee so not in this photo)

All of the children appeared to be very happy.  Not just to see us - and not just happy - which is temporary (thanks Will for that sermon) they were Joyous.

As we drove off the children stood at the fence and waved goodbye. 
I expressed to Larry I thought we needed to find another name for them other than Grublets as we left.  He firmly said, Oh No, we can't.  His  explained his children had sang a song when they were young about the Grublets and said it was a very endearing word.  Thank goodness Claire and Felis sang it for me so I recognized the correct one online.

 

My prayer is that we can be Joyous in Him thats truly brings us Joy.

Phil 4:4 Always be full of Joy in the Lord

2 comments:

  1. You look so happy! I am glad the trip is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! I do love it here. Will see you next month!

      Delete