Tuesday, January 17, 2012

School started

School started yesterday.  137 kids enrolled.



 Some of the kids cried and didn't want to leave their mothers.  All the children, except for the babies, from the Children's Home are attending school.


 I noticed that the children from the Home didn't have water bottles for snack at school and asked if that was something I could get for them.  And yea, I could!  Mimi, a "Mamma" who has been with Larry and Claire 12 years, gave me an estimate on cost and I gave her funds to get in town. (thank you sponsors!) Later in the day I saw her walking down the dirt road by the school on the way to Solola to purchase the water bottles.  I asked if I could go with her, she said yes, so off we went.  She speaks a little English and I speak a little Spanish so we communicated pretty well.

 Once we got to a main intersection we got in a van to take the short ride to Solola.  I kept counting how many people got in the van for I couldn't believe how many they stuffed in there! It was a 12 passenger van and I counted 20 and a baby.  The sliding door on the side was left open and people stand and hang onto the roof.  No seat belt law or passenger limit here!  I wished I would of had a camera although not sure I could of moved enough to take a photo!


We first went to what would be like a dollar store but they didn't have any girl color water bottles so we went to the Dispensia and scored big time!  They had plenty of bottles and three colors to choose from and they were about half the cost she expected so we were able to purchase small tupperware containers for them also!  They will have a fruit snack in that to take to school.  Someone provided funds for them to all have new backpacks and they were so excited to get them!  Once again, no camera with me when that happened! 
The kids were so excited when we got back from town and showed them the water bottles and tupperware.  They each came up and said "gracias" with big smiles on their faces.  So wonderful! I have graduated to being called "Mamma Denise" and can't tell you how very special that is to me!!
I wouldn't be here without your prayers and support so will continue to thank you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment