Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Windy

The past two days have been extremely windy here in Guatemala. We were without electricity and water last night and till mid afternoon today. I am guessing the winds to be around 45 mph. They are just howling on this mountaintop. Some of the kids at the home had trouble sleeping last night because the high winds sounded like a lady screaming. Poor things.
Had a great day and got a lot done. The team from OK painted,


organized, carried 50 lb buckets of gravel for the second story of the school and the list goes on. I as usual had my hands in a bit of everything. Got to spend about an hour with the older boys, 8 - 14 years of age, and really enjoyed that. They probably think I am a crazy American - played outside and got them to do pushups, setups, lunges, jumping jacks and sprints for about 15 minutes. Oh, and we ran some stairs. I lost a few participants on that but think I will try and meet them daily outside for some P.E. Then they wanted me to play soccer, which I am not so very good at, but teamed up girls against boys and we did pretty good. They are all such sweet boys and I look forward to getting to know them better. "Ever" and his sister Jeni came to the home the last day of my last trip to Guatemala. The government had removed them from the parents home because of neglect and/or abuse. I can't recall. They arrived at the Home at the exact moment that the Austin team was loading in the vans, I was able to sneak in and hug necks and get a photo before we left. I am so glad Claire took a photo of us. It was so cool for them to realize I knew them! I will take a photo with them tomorrow and post - if I can figure out how!
Had over 100 kids again today for VBS. Think the high winds and cools temps may of caused some not to come today. I helped tape a big room in home during VBS so some of the OK team could paint the walls. We hope to get it finished tomorrow.
Lots of projects going on with and a great team here helping get it done.
Thanks for following along on my journey here in
Guatemala.

1 comment:

  1. Denise - so glad to see you got the photo thing figured out. These children are SO precious! They are so lucky to have you there to be their friend, companion, teacher, playmate & witness to Christ. Praying for you as you continue on your journey! Hugs, A

    ReplyDelete