Monday, January 9, 2012

Manna Feeding Program

The "Manna" feeding program started back up today.  I got to meet Larry, who owns the company that funds the program, last night with Larry and Claire.
 This feeding program is for children from families that qualify for a hot meal 5 days a week here at Eagle's Nest.  The last time I came to Eagle's Nest with a team from Austin Christian Fellowship my heart was deeply touched by this program. The children walk up without moms or dads although many are acting as a parent to a younger sibling or siblings. Today they only served 36 children but usually have closer to 50 attend.

  Some of the children I saw at VBS this past week were to come today but for some reason didn't so I assume I will see them tomorrow.  I was able to help the ladies who purchase the groceries and prepare the meals a bit today.  Will try to get the swing of things and do more to help out in the next couple of days.  Many of the children bring little plastic sacks to put some of the food they are served in so they can take it home to share with their families.

 I would imagine that this might be the only meal some of them get some days.  I am thankful for Larry who provides the funds for this program to continue on a regular basis.  He  owns a roofing company in Jersey I believe.  I told him if he was in Texas I would refer as many people as possible to him!
What a blessing the Manna program is - they get a hot meal, learn a bible verse, and hang around and play on playground or with members of teams that are here.  This adorable little girl kept holding my hand and I look forward to getting to know her better the next couple months.
It is my plan to walk home with her and her sisters before the end of the week and see where they live.  Wishing I could converse in Spanish, although that is not always the language they speak.  I started Spanish tutoring lessons with the Block family last week and have my second lesson tomorrow.   Pray I am a fast learner for I have a deep yearning to be able to communicate with the people here! 


On a side note, I got to swim with a few of the kiddos yesterday.  The water in the pool was a bit chilly, guessing 68 or so. Thank goodness I am used to the cold water of Lake Austin!  Some can swim a bit, some just sank so hopefully while I am here I can help them out.  It was also cool because I turned around in pool and Estella, one of the momm',s I have known since my first visit here, had jumped in with her tshirt and shorts on and was ready for me to help her out. 

Another team from the States arrived tonight and they will be helping get things finished up at the School since it starts next week.  Lots more I could share but am going to get some sleep now.  Appreciate you taking the time to keep up with what is going with me in Guatemala!

No comments:

Post a Comment