Thursday, January 19, 2012

Busy Days

Another wonderful day in Solola, Guatemala.   This morning I helped Claire get the storage area at the School organized while she filled in as "Principal" at the school.  Got a great deal accomplished.  Hopefully the teachers will approve!


After school helped with the "Manna" feeding program.  I think some of the kids are getting more comfortable being around me.  Some are still very shy and will not let me touch them or get very near them.  Language barrier doesn't help.  I am trying hard to speak and learn as much from the kids and mamma's as I can.  My forgetfullness, or memory detention, whatever you want to call it is not helping!!  Larry suggested a website and I have been trying to study it daily - it is alot like the Rosetta program in the way they teach.  I also found flash cards while organizing this a.m. that I will start using to help me out. 



Went to town with Claire in the afternoon to get more paint for the Home.  Had a bit of a mix up on color when the walls in Home got painted a couple weeks ago.  I was able to get most of it done yesterday but need a bit more paint.  I was hungry so Claire suggested I get something from a little place that looks like a chick-fil-a. Got a grilled chicken sandwhich and it was Yummy!

  Also needed to pick up a few pair of tennis shoes for the older boys.  That ended up not being as easy a task as I thought it would be.  Got the sizes requested, two didn't fit, one broke when he tried on. (it was velcro strap for one of the boys that has web feet - thought it might work better for him)
So Claire was ever so kind to take me back to the store in Solola to get correct sizes.  Or so I thought.  Got three different pair and only one ended up fitting properly!!  Oh well, will try again.

Pablo


Helped Lucky and the Mamma's serve dinner and help with clean up.  That has been something I have been doing pretty regular.  Enjoy hanging out with them!  Usually have a P.E. type class with the kiddos about hour before dinner so has worked out perfect.  Some of the kids are asking for the exercise classes now which is great.


  Lucky made that great yellow rice tonight and had a small bowl of it.  She showed me the secret to the yellow rice - Yea!!  Am so excited to finally learn how.  Have tried every time I get back to the states and it never turns out.  Sorry, can't tell you the secret.  You will have to come over for dinner when I

Marisol - Children's Home

get back to find out!!!  Have included some photos of the kids from the Home and from Manna.  So thankful I am able to hug and love on them all!



Claudia and Joselito - Children's Home

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to you trying out the yellow rice recipe! Maybe you'll share the secret :)

    ReplyDelete