Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lunch at Estella's

Friday we had  "tuk -tuk's" come to Eagle's Nest and pick up the team that has been here this week.  I am so thankful they had room for me!  We were taken to Estella and Javiar's home for lunch.  Estella used to help prepare and serve the "Manna" meals but had to have surgery and was unable to work for months.  Of course, Eagle's Nest had to hire someone else to help with Manna during that time butwere concerned about the lost income it would mean for Estella is she were unable to come back and help with the "Manna" program.  It was discovered they had an extra room large enough to host teams for lunch and a great idea was born.



  Estella has agreed to prepare lunch as well let the teams make home meade tortillas when they arrive.  It is such a great experience for teams to witness how people really live here in Solola. Javiar and Estella were so proud to have us see their home and serve us lunch.  The children were also very proud to have us and the young boys went down to the little store and got "Pepsi" for us to drink. 



The meal was simple and delicious.  Chicken broth soup, piece of fried chicken with rice/veggies.  And of course home made tortillas.  Plus we had small yellow bananas for dessert that were so sweet and delicious.
Sarah, the oldest daughter, is also in my blog photo.  I met her on one of my first trips and she is always so sweet.   She is blind in one eye but that doesn't stop her - she helps with her younger siblings and was very happy to be helping serve us lunch. 

  Javiars mother, who is 90, lives in a room next door and cooks on the floor.   This is also where Javiar grew up.  She doesn't speak Spanish, it is Chacitaul (Spelling?) which is what many of the people in the area speak.  I was thankful she approved me taking a photo of her and her home. 

Notice she has a little stove in the room she could cook on but she prefers to cook on the floor.  You can see the ash in the far back right corner.
It seems pretty impossible for me to try and explain all the emotions and feelings that came over me during this lunch.  I am so blessed to have the
opportunity to be serving in this wonderful place.  As I was going to post this on Facebook I saw a post from Larry Boggs. 

 He tells a story that Javiar shared about his background and his gratefulness.  I would encourage you to read.  Thanks again for keeping up with my journey, I do appreciate it.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment